Monitoring and evaluation of ENPI - Background
ENPI is monitored and evaluated routinely through the mid-term review process. Country level evaluations are also carried out on a regular basis, usually following the seven-year Country Strategy Plan cycle (or otherwise when needed). These evaluations are launched and managed by the AIDCO/RELEX Joint Evaluation Unit, which provides for the external independent assessment of the Commission’s expenditure programmes.
Within the country level evaluation the following will be assessed:
- assess the relevance and consistency of the Commission’s cooperation strategies, across all instruments;
- assess the coherence, coordination, complementarity and consistency of cooperation strategies;
- assess the impact, sustainability, effectiveness, and efficiency of Commission cooperation;
- review the intended impact for the period 2007-2013;
- assess the extent to which the recommendations of the previous country level evaluation for the country for previous financial perspectives have been taken into account;
- assess the coherence of Commission cooperation with the PCA/Association Agreement and the ENP Action Plan.
The in-depth monitoring and evaluation of ENPI funding are carried out at the project level (covering either individual projects or groups of projects in the same sector). This programme level section was prepared on the basis of various official documents and consultations with EC officials.
Mid-term CSP Review / Preparation of New IP
Country Strategy Papers are reviewed by the EC at the three- or four-year mark, as part of the drafting process for the new National Indicative Programme. The exercise is designed to identify:
- “Areas which have not been adequately covered by European Community or other donor assistance but which represent key priority areas in need of financial assistance;
- Areas for which follow-up assistance is required to previous programmes;
- Areas which have been covered in the past, and for which an assistance is no longer a priority. ”
The mid-term review exercise, which takes approximately one year, is carried out by DG RELEX with the participation of DG AIDCO, the appropriate EC Delegation, government of the partner country, and interested non-state actors, which are invited to submit comments and recommendations and participate in roundtable discussions.