World to EBRD: Don't finance the next Chernobyl
July 4, 2012
While Bankwatch campaigners continue their advocacy towards the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, we're happy to get a little help from people who are also concerned about Ukraine's plans to continue operating its old and outdated nuclear power plants far beyond their designed lifetime.
A petition on the Avaaz.org community site is now calling on the EBRD not to "fund the next Chernobyl".
Signatures from people all over Europe are coming in by the minute now. If you're also worried about Soviet era reactors running way beyond their shelf life, then help us stop these plans and sign the petition here.
Two European public banks are currently reviewing their energy lending policies. We call for an end to coal subsidies.
Related blog posts
- Divesting from coal is not ideology but climate science - a reminder for the EBRD
- Fair treatment is a long time coming at Serbia's Kolubara lignite mine
- Guest post: Development banks and the Arab Spring, new report takes stock
- EBRD with disastrous start in Kosovo, European Parliament not amused
- [Campaign update] New bills for green energy in Serbia